Server collocation is a service of renting space in a server room and access to the infrastructure necessary for server operation. Server collocation is also called hoteling, because the server (or the entire rack cabinet) belongs to the client is located in the server room of service providers. Routers, switches and devices can be collocated on a similar option. What are colocation services?
Relying on a collocation data center allows you to eliminate capital expenditure (CAPEX) to cover and maintain the facility’s device, retaining ownership and full control over the physical server. However, this still requires the initial equipment and equipment costs that are available with the increased travel costs for engineers in case equipment needs to be used.
The client uses server colocation services receives, among others:
- Optimal server working conditions – air temperature and humidity.
- Access to faster internet connections from independent providers.
- Powering the server and connecting to devices that support its operation.
- Physical cover against burglary – monitoring and security systems, security locks and doors, etc.
- Fire protection – modern fire extinguishing systems for extinguishing electronic equipment.
- 24/7 server access – the ability to work on the machine after gaining access to data center employees.
To make your selection, consider several functions
- Power supply. Power requirements are steadily increasing due to the increase in computing power.
- Flexible agreement. Contracts are written to protect the interests of the collocation operator. That is why the contracts should be negotiated, especially those with critical fulfillment.
- Redundancy of network connections. Limited server rooms have limited connections to operator networks. Choose a collocation, look for one that is neutral to the network operators and then connected to several networks.
- High service environments. A larger floor area is not the same as a higher data center area. If IT equipment is more active, it will take up less space on the server, which will translate into operating costs.
- Correct location. The IT environment can manage remotely, but the issue of coverage from the data center is important. One has to answer whether the data center must be far from the areas where natural disasters are available.
- High level of physical security. In an ideal location with many security systems, both indoors and outdoors.
- Adaptation to the restoration agreement after consideration and continuity of relationships. Power supply, cooling and network in the function of selecting the parameter corresponding to or even exceeding to what is equipped with the basic data center.
- Compliance with standards. When it comes to complying with regulations, many operators declare level coverage (available levels), giving the impression of using used certifications.
- Support services. In the minimum version, the colocation provider should offer a comprehensive managed services portfolio so that customers do not have to send supported services when, for example, they need to switch network connections.
- Future growth. Because technology is developing very quickly, it’s difficult to predict where it will be in three, five or years. Therefore, look for a collocation operator that allows scaling in applications such as power and data center space.